Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Storyteller

Last Tuesday, we met up with my mom, sister-in-law Heather, and her kids to Thanksgiving Point to take advantage of their August promotion to get in to events for only $2. (Even the fudge in the store near the gardens was only $2 for half a pound!) It was a very sunny day and the flowers were gorgeous. I wish my yard could look like the gardens there.



This ark was in the children's garden there. We wished we would have brought some swim trunks for Ethan. He wanted to get in the water really badly. We are definitely coming back again.





Ethan had a cute milk mustache the other night. We couldn't resist but snap a picture.


We had an eventful week. My mom came to stay with us for a few days while my dad was in Alaska fishing with some friends. We had a great time with her. We took her garage saling with us on Saturday and had a blast. It was one of the best garage sale days we've had all summer. We also had Kyle's family over on Sunday for the Temple dedication. His parents watched the kids so we could go to the dedication. It was so nice to get to go together and sit through a church meeting without wrestling the kids. The talks were so inspiring.


Brooklyn had her 9 month check-up this week. I was sad to find out what I had suspected to be true--that she wasn't gaining weight like she should be. She's always been tall, but only around the 25th to 30th percentile for weight. She is now in the 6th percentile (weighing in 15 lbs 11 oz) and the doctor wants me to supplement her with formula or give her more milk. This came as I was considering starting to cut back on the feedings (to prepare for weaning her completely around her birthday). I think part of the problem is because she is easily distracted when I feed her so she doesn't always get enough. Hopefully with a few changes we can fatten her up a bit. I was so looking forward to flipping her carseat forward when she turns one, but it looks like it might take a little longer to get her to weigh enough. :(


On a happier note, Brooklyn is now crawling on her hands and knees. She still does her army crawl often, but she seems to have figured out the real thing. Still no teeth, yet.


Ethan has started to tell us stories. He always starts "One day . . ." I've recorded a few of his stories so we can remember them down the road.


"One day, Grandma and Grandpa went on a hike."

"One day, Ethan, Brooklyn and Mommy got an owie."

"One day, the 4-wheeler (a toy he has) drove on the rocks and the road. Listened to music on the road."

"Tell a funny story. One day, Mater had some funny wheels."


So far, our favorite story was told last night after our Family Home Evening lesson.


"One day, Grandma and Grandpa went to the temple and saw Jesus. Mommy and Daddy and Brooklyn and Ethan were there too."



6 comments:

The Taylor LIfe said...

Don't get to excited to flip that carseat around, from the class I had it is best to keep them rear facing for as long as you can, at least until age 2 if you can with there weight and everything. They are sooo much safer if you were to be in an accident.
Looks like fun at Thanksgiving Point, so beautiful there. I love the first picture you posted of you guys, your just so happy and cute. Love it!

Justin and Kenzee said...

I had no idea Thanksgiving Point had a water play area. Fun! Sounds like it was worth it just for the fudge. ;-) It was good to chat for a while at the park today... we don't always get to talk at aerobics.

Amy and Micheal said...

What a fun outing! That kid water area looks so adventurous for the kiddos. I need to go there more often. It's only a 10 minute drive from our house. All the kids look so cute together! Glad you guys had such a fun time!

Lacey said...

First off, Thanksgiving Point looks like it was so fun. You ladies look fabulous! I had no idea that there was a water play area. So fun, and for such a great price.

Second, Ivy did the exact same thing at that age. The Dr. wanted me to supplement with formula, but Ivy really wasn't going for that and I never felt it was truly necessary. We prayed about it and felt that with increasing solids and continued nursing she would be fine. And she has been. My advice would be to pray and consider your Dr's advice. I hope that you're able to figure out what works best for Brooklyn so she can continue growing healthy and strong.

Lastly, I love Ethan's stories! Especially the last one. What a kid!

Heather Taylor Photography said...

hehe- those stories are so fun! How cute. And that was a fun (though hot!!) day! We'll have to go again next year.

Ryan and Michelle said...

Looks like Christin beat me to the carseat info I was going to share. We got Austin a carseat where he can stay rear-facing up to 35 pounds for that safety reason. I think we'll turn him around for his 2nd birthday though so he can see.

Looks like a blast at Thanksgiving Point! How fun to hear Ethan's stories and see Brooklyn crawling. I can't believe she's so old!