Thursday, January 15, 2009

'Til We Meet Again

Jen's Grandpa Taylor passed away around noon today. He would have celebrated his 93rd birthday next month. He was hospitalized with pneumonia last week and surprised us at how long he fought it. We feel comforted that he is having a happy reunion with Grandma Taylor right now. She passed away over a year ago. It was so hard to see her go and see Grandpa miss her so much. It will be so hard now to see their house empty.

Here is a picture from Thanksgiving of Grandpa holding Brooklyn.
This picture is one of Grandma holding Ethan when he was about Brooklyn's age.
I cannot imagine not being able to visit my grandparents. I grew up just up the street from them and visited them almost weekly throughout childhood and as often as possible after we moved away. One thing I never fully realized until now was how much they absolutely loved their grandchildren and great-grandchildren. On his deathbed, Grandpa said that more than anything it would be hard not to be with us (not that they didn't love their own children any less). I wish I would have taken more opportunities to visit them when I had the chance. I'm grateful they got to meet Ethan and Brooklyn in this life, but wish our children could have gotten to know them and how much Grandma and Grandpa adored them.

I will miss so many things about them. I've missed Grandma's creamies and date cookies, as well as Grandpa's wit and humor. Grandpa was such a great example of a hard worker. He farmed all his life and found much joy in it. I will forever remember our New Years Eve sleepovers, eating watermelon on their porch in the summer, and going fishing with Grandpa. It will be really hard to see how things will change now that he is gone.

I find much comfort in knowing that he is with so many loved ones gone before him, especially Grandma. I know that we will be with him (and Grandma) again someday.

I love you Grandpa!!

4 comments:

Justin and Kenzee said...

Sorry to hear your sad news. We hope the funeral goes smoothly. You're right, it's always good to know that a couple can be together again after passing.

Lacey said...

We're so sorry for your loss. My own Grandpa passed away recently, so I really feel for you. Makes you so glad for the gospel, don't you think? I'm glad you have so many happy memories with him, and that he is with his sweet wife again.

Steve and Kirsten said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa, but it does make it easier when you know where they are going and that they will see their companion again.

john and amber said...

What sweet pictures. I'm so sorry about your loss. At least it's comforting to have the knowledge of the gospel. We miss you at aerobics!