Sunday, March 22, 2009

"A 'Hole' lot of Mischief" or "Stuck in a Hole"

Kyle and I couldn't agree on a title so we thought we'd go Rocky and Bullwinkle style and use both.

Ethan has been having lots of fun playing outside. The other day we were outside and Ethan found the hole we dug last fall to help fix our leaky basement. We were surprised he fit into it. The hole isn't as deep as it looks. Ethan is sitting down with his feet under the sidewalk. We thought this was pretty funny.


Ethan loves to sit on his little tractor and scoot around the house.
Today in church Ethan was scribbling on paper and was very excited about his drawing of a butterfly. This was the first time he has identified his scribbles as anything in particular. He went on to draw a bee, a piano, circles, and mommy and daddy. They all look about the same as this butterfly.
Ethan and Brooklyn had their respective 2 year and 4 month doctor's checkups this week. Ethan has stayed close to the 35th percentile for weight, 75th for height (tall and skinny) but surprised us a bit that his head is in the 90th percentile. This reminded us of a quote from "So I Married an Axe Murderer."

Look at the size of that boy's heed.
Shhh!
I'm not kidding, it's like an orange on a toothpick.
Shhh, you're going to give the boy a complex.
Well, that's a huge noggin. That's a virtual planetoid.
Shh!
Has it's own weather system.
Sh, sh, shh.
HEAD! MOVE
I'm not kidding, that boy's head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Now that was offside, wasn't it? He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.

With a head as big as his it's no wonder he's so smart (while emptying my wallet during church today he came across a punch card from Papa Murphy's and and said "Papa Murphy!" though we never taught him that).

Brooklyn's stats were very similar to Ethan's when he was her age. She was in the 30th percentile for weight (about 13 lbs) , 90th for height (25 inches), and 50th for head size.

6 comments:

Ryan and Michelle said...

I'm not quite sure I understand the logic... you have a leaky basement so you dig a hole in your backyard. Doesn't that just keep more water in your yard :). I had a bad experience with a hole in my neighbors backyard when I was about 2. I still have the scar on my thigh to prove it. Don't worry no pictures.

Justin and Kenzee said...

That's funny that Ethan and Nolan are about the same size. Except they told me Nolan's head was in the 30th. It's been in the 50th every other time so the doctor asked if he wiggled. Yep! Turns out it was invalid. Big head is better than a tiny one! Whew! I love his drawing of a butterfly! It's so fun to see their imagination.

john and amber said...

That "head" quote is hilarious. What cute kids! And I love Ethan's butterfly he drew. From your last post...I admire you so much for your patience in your new upholstering talent, Jen. The chairs turned out great!

Amy and Micheal said...

Ha ha ha! Ethan looks like a little groudhog poking his head out. What a cute picture! I LOVE that scene from Axe Murderer. Micheal and I quote it all the time. He especially would when I woke up with the beehive bed head. I kept telling him it was the hair, not my head, but that didn't matter much to him... :)

Ethan's butterfly drawing is sweet. What a creative little mind he has!

Lacey said...

You obviously have a budding artist on your hands! I love the picture of Ethan sitting in the hole, that's awesome!

Kate said...

One of my favorite movies, Jen. Our kids had big heads too--weird. It evens out though. Eventually, they grew into them. It just shows intelligence. I love the picture of him in the hole--it looks so deep!