Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day Weekend

A message to all dads everywhere.....




We had a great weekend. It was the first weekend in at least six weeks where we didn't have somewhere that we needed to be. It was so nice to be home and catch up on some things we've wanted to get done.

We finished painting our banister. It used to match the floor. We aren't the biggest fans of oak and wanted something different.
We went on a small hike as a family on Friday afternoon. Ethan loved being outside and especially sitting on some big rocks.

Friday evening I got to translate a first discussion between the missionaries in our area and a wonderful Chinese woman I met in the park a few weeks ago. It was a neat experience. I've been home from my mission for nearly 5 years and was happy that I could still understand and communicate well enough. I couldn't remember how to say everything I wanted to say though. It definitely made me want to get back into studying Mandarin so I don't forget any more and so I'm prepared if the opportunity ever arises again.

I love to celebrate any special day with food. Since today was his day, I let Kyle pick what he wanted. This morning for Father's Day I made strawberry crepes, our old standby for breakfast. They tasted especially good this morning. For dinner, Kyle asked me to make Barbecue Chicken Pizza. It is really good and super easy to make. You can find the recipe on my food blog.
I love Father's Day. I am so grateful for the fathers in my life and for how they have blessed me and my kids. First off, I'm thankful for my own dad for the example he has always been to me. He has always been a great example of hard work and responsibility. Secondly, I'm thankful for my father-in-law for his kindness and love for me since joining the family. Last, but not least, I am so grateful for my sweetie, Kyle. He is such an amazing father and spouse. He is so unselfish and fun to watch as he interacts so lovingly with our kids. He always puts us first although he always has so much on his plate. You are the bestest, Honey!!

4 comments:

Kristina said...

Cute kids!!!

Lacey said...

Those Father's Day wishes from your kids are darling! You're banister looks fabulous, and the pizza super delicious (we'll be trying that one soon! Thanks for making the recipe available!). And I'm way impressed that you were able to translate so well for the discussion. I don't think that I remember my Japanese well enough to even hold a regular conversation, much less a missionary discussion! But you make a good point about needing to be ready when the opportunity arises. Maybe I can find the motivation to dig out the old books... :)

Justin and Kenzee said...

I don't think I realized that you spoke Mandarin on your mission. Wow... that must have been tough to learn. Sounds like a neat experience with the first discussion. Hopefully she'll be interested in hearing more.

Heather Taylor Photography said...

your banister looks great, and of course your kids are adorable. :)